During Christmas I decided to challenge myself by entering the D&AD New Blood Awards. I went into this not expecting anything as I was just using this as experience for real life briefs. I also went into this alone as a first year having never done anything like this before so no matter the outcome, I was proud of myself for just entering this competition which was commonly entered by groups of 3rd years and graduates!
I chose to do the Spotify brief, this required me to come up with an idea, develop it and then sell the idea. I chose to make a feature similar to Instagram Live, but with music playlists and called it ‘My Spot’. I created UI for the app, and then a prototype in XD. I then had to create a video presenting the idea. I wanted the video to focus on how people feel separate due to the pandemic, and highlight how this new feature could bring everyone together. I then came up with a quick ‘teaser’ campaign. I wanted to make people think when they saw it, so I used a colourful ‘spot’ and added some funny type in the centre.
Clearly, with the amount of excuses I began this section with, I didn’t win anything! However one of the winning entries was a very similar idea so I know I was on the right lines! I’m really happy with how the whole project turned out and given as I did it whilst juggling University work and creating Formula One content, I couldn’t have done anything more!
For one of my recent uni projects i had to create an app design, i chose to make an app that could make revision more fun for younger people. In the app (partnered with bitesize), you get your own ‘revision world’. Your dorm is were you can do solo revision including flashcards and group revision calls with friends. Then in the hallway you can take classes, do exams and even do mini games. The incentive for doing these tasks is you gain coins which you can spend on decorating your dorm/avatar. The common room is were you can spend talking to other students your age between revision.
I felt that the HSBC mobile banking app could be improved, so I set a task for myself to redesign the interface. I began with sketching the navigation of the app and then I made a wireframe and then a high-fidelity version with the UI added. Between the wireframe and the final I tested it on some people and made the appropriate changes for the final to be as optimised as possible.